Below is a sample of a questionnaire used to evaluate the degree of social anxiety in children. The original SPAI-C consists of 26 questions that focus on social phobia and social anxiety. The following, however, is a shorter version that focuses solely on social anxiety.
Please indicate how nervous or scared you feel in the various situations listed below. Use the following scale for your answers:
1 = Never or Hardly Ever
2 = Sometimes
3 = Most of the Time or Always
- Scared when joining a large group
- Scared when becoming the center of attention
- Scared when I have to do something while others watch me
- Scared when speaking or reading in front of a group
- Scared when answering questions in class or at group meetings
- Scared when speaking in front of class
- Scared when in a school play, choir, music, or dance recital
Scores above 18 indicate high levels of social anxiety.
NOTE: PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, IT IS NOT DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A DIAGNOSIS.
Beidel CD, Turner SM & Fink CM (1996). Assessment of childhood social phobia: construct, convergent, and discriminative validity of Social Phobia and Anxiety Inventory for Children (SPAI-C). Psychology Assessment, 8: 235-240.