For each item, please circle the number to indicate the degree to which you feel the statement is characteristic or true for you. The rating scale is as follows:
0 = Not at all characteristic or true of me.
1 = Slightly characteristic or true of me.
2 = Moderately characteristic or true of me.
3 = Very characteristic or true of me.
4 = Extremely characteristic or true of me.
- I get nervous if I have to speak with someone in authority (teacher, boss, etc.).
- I have difficulty making eye contact with others.
- I become tense if I have to talk about myself or my feelings.
- I find it difficult to mix comfortably with the people I work with.
- I find it easy to make friends my own age.
- I tense up if I meet an acquaintance in the street.
- When mixing socially, I am uncomfortable.
- I feel tense if I am alone with just one other person.
- I am at ease meeting people at parties, etc.
- I have difficulty talking with other people.
- I find it easy to think of things to talk about.
- I worry about expressing myself in case I appear awkward.
- I find it difficult to disagree with another’s point of view.
- I have difficulty talking to attractive persons of the opposite sex.
- I find myself worrying that I won’t know what to say in social situations.
- I am nervous mixing with people I don’t know well.
- I feel I’ll say something embarrassing when talking.
- When mixing in a group, I find myself worrying I will be ignored.
- I am tense mixing in a group.
- I am unsure whether to greet someone I know only slightly.
Possible scores range from 0 to 80. Higher scores are associated with higher social anxiety.
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS TEST IS MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSE ONLY, IT IS NOT A DIAGNOSTIC TOOL AND DOES NOT REPLACE PROFESSIONAL CARE.
Mattick & Clark, 1998